Baldwin - Bryn Mawr PA


In 1871, the Pennsylvania Railroad built the original Bryn Mawr Hotel on the site that is now called the Baldwin Residence. In 1887, before a fire engine could arrive by train, and despite the heroic efforts of the dining room waiters, the building burned to the ground. By 1892, it was replaced by the current five-story chateau-style structure designed by Frank Furness, a Philadelphia architect.